I liked working with pine needles earlier this week, and even though I didn’t finish attaching the sunburst mandala to its frame…I started on another one.
Not sure why the pine needles in those two pictures look purple – it’s the lighting…and maybe a suggestion of my intention to start dyeing pine needles. This is getting fun!
One of the pictures shows the paper patterns I created for the spaces in between, but it turns out I don’t really need those to make the crochet fillings. I guess I just needed to visualize things for a moment.
You can see the beginnings of the blue piece I’m crocheting for the top opening. I keep re-doing it to match the space (plus I was distracted mightily by stand-up comedy: thanks Tom Segura!) The thread colors are meant to show intention: It shall be blue up top, yellow in the middle and green below. Crochet pieces that I will attach somehow in each space. I have to figure out how to stitch them just big enough to be stretched in each space.
Mostly today I enjoyed tying more pine needles together and pushing them apart into shapes. I think weaving between those shapes will yield some good results tomorrow and I’m looking forward to gathering longer needles, dying them in different colors and making more shapes out of them.